Donating goods to Emmaus
Tell us what you have to offer and we'll take care of the rest01727 817297
Mon-Sat 9:30am-5pm Sunday 10am-4pm (Foxholes Farm Hertford) Or use our Donate goods form
Emmaus Hertfordshire relies on the generosity of people in the local community who kindly donate their pre-loved items.
We welcome donations of a wide range of furniture and household items, with every penny of what we sell going straight into the Emmaus charity, working together to end homelessness in Hertfordshire.
These items are given a new lease of life when sold in our six charity shops across the county and Barnet. This helps us to provide a home for as long as needed to people who have experienced homelessness and social exclusion.
However, while our social enterprise thrives because of donations, we would like to remind the public that we cannot accept all items, for a variety of reasons including space, demand, or damage, amongst others.
Items that we can accept:
- Good quality furniture
- Soft furnishings: Beds, mattresses, sofas. These must have a valid Fire Safety label still attached to each item (see below)
- Bric a brac: China, glassware and kitchenware
- Books: Good condition paperbacks, coffee table books, hardbacks, academic, rare, collectors and children’s and we love any 1st editions
- Textiles: Curtains, household linens, fabric, and clothes
- Garden: Garden tools, plants (& cuttings), wheel barrows etc
- Arts & crafts: Sewing machines, wool, fabric, art supplies etc
- Small musical instruments
- Plus records, CDs & DVDs
Items that we cannot accept:
- Gas appliances (we are not Corgi registered)
- Foam backed carpets (fall apart)
- Pianos (Health and Safety issue. Too heavy for our van crews to move safely)
- Upholstered furniture (anything with foam) without correct label. Including headboards, sofas, chairs, footstools (We must meet all legal and Trading standards requirements — items must comply with the 1988 or 1993 furniture regulations)
- Flat packed MDF furniture (Bits get separated or broken, and items become unsaleable)
- Safety equipment: crash helmets (we cannot test and guarantee the integrity of these items)
- Soft toys and games that do not have CE labels (items without CE label do not meet legal requirements)
- Large wall units (Too large for most properties, no demand)
- Gas bottles, paint, paraffin, petrol, aerosols or other flammable substance (Health & Safety)
- Inflatable items such as dinghies, mattresses, swimming aids
- Baby equipment, cots, prams, highchairs, walkers, car seats, etc
- Any other item that is not in a saleable or fit condition to be sold
If in doubt about an item you wish to donate, just pick up the phone and chat to us about the item you have in mind.