Emmaus communities enable people to move on from homelessness, providing work and a home in a supportive, family environment.
To join a community, companions sign off all unemployment benefits and agree to participate in the life and volunteering of the community and abide by its rules, for example not bringing drugs or alcohol into the community.
At Emmaus Hertfordshire we have the capacity to support 35 companions. Each companion will have a designated support worker to help them along their Emmaus journey.
There are a few situations in which Emmaus Hertfordshire cannot support individuals and therefore would not continue with the referral assessment process:
- Individuals who have drug and/or alcohol addictions and are not already receiving help from support agencies (companions are not permitted to be in possession of drugs or alcohol onsite and must not be under the influence of drink or drugs during volunteering time. We can only help those that wish to help themselves)
- Individuals who are violent and aggressive
- Individuals who are in full- or part-time employment
- Individuals who are pregnant or have dependant children
- Individuals who are on the sex-offenders register or have ever been convicted of arson
For more information please see our
To apply to become an Emmaus Hertfordshire companion, please download and complete a
Return the form to email@example.com or send it by post, marked for the attention of:
Emmaus St Albans,
Hill End Lane,
Hertfordshire AL4 0FE.
Should you have any questions please contact us on 01727 817 294 (option 2)