Become a companion
At Emmaus Colchester we work to provide homeless people with the opportunity to regain control of their lives by living and working alongside others in a supportive communal environment.
We take referrals from agencies and individuals, and each one is considered based on its own circumstances.
We do have a small number of criteria that all companions must meet in order to join our community. They are:
- You must be able to work for 40 hours per week in the social enterprise.
- No alcohol, illegal drugs or legal highs are allowed on the Emmaus premises. We undertake regular drug and alcohol testing.
- You must be prepared to participate in community life.
- Download our mutual expectations document here.
- Download our referral form here or request by email to email@example.com or phone 01206 541616
Living and working at Emmaus isn't for everyone, so we ask that anyone interested in joining our community works with us for a day in order to decide if it is right for them and us.
Many of our companions have had problems in the past, but if they can show to have mostly overcome these we will accept them. We can provide support for those overcoming problems such as addiction, as long as they are seeking help and it doesn't impact too much on the rest of the community. Support can include attending local alcohol and drug intervention schemes and counselling.
We are unable to support people with an on-going dependency (alcohol, illegal drugs). We are also not able to accommodate people with anger management problems, severe mental health problems or severe learning difficulties.
If you, or someone you know is interested in joining our community, please get in touch on 01206 541616.