Setting up Emmaus Communities
Emmaus Communities are set up when local people decide that the tried and tested Emmaus approach to homelessness would benefit their area. If initial research and consultation establishes that there is a need and local circumstances are right, volunteers come together as an Emmaus Group.
Key stages in setting up an Emmaus Community
- Forming a local steering group of volunteers with a range of skills and backgrounds
- Finding out about Emmaus and how Communities work.
- Looking at local homelessness and furniture re-use provision to make sure that there would be demand for an Emmaus Community
- Acquiring a suitable site for both the residential and business parts of the Community
- Raising the money to build or convert premises and set up the business
- Recruiting the staff who will run the Community
Current Emmaus Groups
There are currently 11 Emmaus Groups that have affiliated to the Emmaus UK Federation:
- Leicestershire and Rutland
- South Wales
Find out more
To find out more about setting up a Community or hear about any new Emmaus developments in your area, contact the Federation Office on 01223 576103 or email@example.com